"The three great essentials to achieve anything worth while are: Hard work, Stick-to-itiveness, and Common sense."

If you want to feel like a failure buy a 3d printer.  I bought a 3d printer kit about two years ago and have had about two years of failures and epic fails with limited success.  The 3d printer kit was exactly that, a kit.  It came with all of the parts and pieces that you will need to build your very own 3d printer!  The kit was very involved and I felt like I needed an engineering degree to put it all together and to get it working.  I will use the term "working" very loosely. 

A 3d print can take hours or days to complete.  When I try to print something there's a good chance it will fail.  It's almost a guarantee.  The print may fail immediately when starting, if you're lucky.  Or the print will fail near the end after hours of working well.  It's hard to tell when these things are going to happen.  Each time a print fails I try to determine what caused the failure and work to fix the problem.  Failures include but are not limited to:  extruder jam, material lifting up from the build plate, shifting, and computer/mechanical malfunction or error.

A successful print is like winning the lottery.  You can't win if you don't play.  You may never win big but will have small wins from time to time.  Just when I think I'll never get my 3d printer to work well, boom, successful print! 

Failure to me means to give up and to quit trying, admitting defeat.  If a person never stops trying have they failed?  Thomas Edison was a cool dude.  When asked about his failures with the light bulb he replied, "I have not failed.  I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." and "Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." 

I will not quit.  I will keep trying.  Who knows maybe I'll win the lottery.



Comments

  1. You have a great point of view here. I know that you enjoy the success but also in a small way know that failures make you better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great words of wisdom! I would never have known you had failures with your 3D printer. And to think those bookmarks printed out so nicely...but how many did you print before those were successes?! Whatever the count, we love our bookmarks you made for the library!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts